Saturday, September 4, 2010

A Familiar Feeling


Gentlemen, it is finally here. Fall has arrived. It seems like there has been a lot of anticipation for what is upon us and like a thunderbolt it has arrived.
For the last 18 years of my life - with the exception of a two year vacation - this time of the year has been equivalent with a feeling of despair, anxiety and remorse. The inevitable return to school. In middle school, I was tormented with feelings of inadequacy. Somehow I was the only Mexican that hit puberty after everyone else in my grade and that did not help my cause in the social life. The start of high school years always meant long days of school, homework, practice and early morning seminary. *GULP*. College meant tuition payments, text book purchases and cheesy meet and great activities with a new singles ward.
I was really looking forward to a stress free fall this year. Last Sunday night, I couldn't help but chuckle as I saw friends frantically trying to finalize their class schedules, work hours and get settled back into their house. Being a college graduate working for the man, I breathed a sigh of relief knowing I had nothing to worry about outside the hours of 9am and 5pm. That is, until this morning.
I got to work and was SLAMMED with questions about last night's action. Utah squeezed out an overtime win. USC came out firing after a tumultuous off-season. Dallas Cowboys had a good showing on offense finally. Max Hall played cool and comfortable as he demonstrated his ability to be the number two quarterback on the Cardinals roster. And of course, more BYU commotion as they scheduled a home and home versus top tier University of Central Florida (I'm laying the sarcasm on pretty thick for that one).
I know it sounds exciting and based on my feelings toward the dog days of summer, you would think that I would welcome this all with open arms. But alas, that familiar anxiety from the last 18 years sunk into my chest again when I realized: Football season is here, and I have got a lot of work to do. There has been a lot of talk and speculation about the three teams I follow the most (BYU, UT and Dallas Cowboys) during this off-season. But the time is finally here. I will have at least three MUST WATCH games every weekend to watch. Aside from that, there is the College Gameday Game of the Week, Sunday Night Football, Monday Night Football and the glorious week night games. Thank you Boise State and NFL Network. On top of that, there is a lot of analysis and news that I know I have to keep brushed up on during the week so that I know I am not missing a beat.
Bottom line is, I spent the last 18 years of my life thinking life working full time would be marvelous, but it is stressful. And for the next five months, I have my work cut out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment