Thursday, February 3, 2011

Jimmermania







One name has taken the country by storm. JIMMER. Anyone who follows college basketball (even casual fans) know the name. He's been referred to as the best scorer in the world and while he leads the nation in scoring, he is a top candidate for national player of the year winner. One day we will see his jersey hanging in the rafters of the Marriott Center next to Cougar greats Kresimir Cosic, Tina Gunn Robison and Danny Ainge.




But the legend of Jimmer has a different mystique. It has turned an entire student body into these "wannabe's". If you don't believe me, go play some pick up ball down at the RB or watch an intramural game. Guys are trying to split the double team to get to the basket. Guys with no skills are trying to go for the scoop layup from 6 feet away from the basket. I heard it last night in the game. A kid tried to go for a layup that was contested very well by our two 6'4" big men in the paint. What did the kid say after his layup was blocked? "I am not Jimmer." He most definitely is not. But watching the magic, especially from a dorky looking former chubby kid, makes us all think we can replicate his talent.




I was guilty of it myself. A couple of weeks ago, I spot up for a three, got the pass and drilled it. Next possession i was dribbling the ball up court and my defender was sitting at the 3 point line waiting to defend me. So I pulled up about 5 feet from the 3 point line and let it fly. Oh ya, I made it. Off the glass. OFF THE GLASS FROM 26 FEET OUT?!?!?! WHO DOES THAT? Not Jimmer. That is who. I am not Jimmer. Never have been, never will be. I never had an aspiring rapper for an older brother that challenged me and trained me. If I did, it would be a completely different story.




I digress. That is what Jimmer has done to anyone who follows him. He has made us think we can do this:



But really we play like this guy




1 comment: