Friday, March 11, 2011

Coming to you live from Las Vegas!

Hey, Man Stuff followers!

I'm down here in Las Vegas as part of The Daily Universe's convoy to the Mountain West Conference basketball tournament. It's a lot of fun to get to watch basketball all day. But, don't worry, I'm not only having fun. In the time I've been here, I've already cranked out three editorials:

1) Not down and out, just turning out


This one I wrote literally in the van while we were pulling into Las Vegas. I was very impressed to see how many BYU students were planning on coming to the tournament and supporting their Cougars, instead of writing off the season after the Brandon Davies announcement and the embarrassing New Mexico loss that followed.


2) Rams win would be a Cougars win too


Yesterday and this morning I was probably thinking more about the Colorado State vs. New Mexico game than the BYU vs. TCU game, to be honest. For some reason I've just been really intrigued by coach Tim Miles and the Rams this season. I was rooting for them to get into the NCAA Tournament, although it looks now like they've definitely missed that chance.


Anyway, I wrote this viewpoint to discuss how Colorado State could win against New Mexico (and why that would be good for us). I knew that the viewpoint would only be relevant for about six hours, haha. In fact, I don't know if it was ever published on the website, just on my blog. But I wrote it for fun, and now you guys can read it if you're interested.


3) Back on track to break the curse of the Lobos


This is what I wrote after it turned out Colorado State lost to New Mexico (after a really good fight). During both the BYU game and the Colorado State game, I was sort of struggling to think of what to write. But this is what I finally came up with. Hits newsstands in about six hours, but you can read it here first!

While I was trying to think of ideas, I came up with some more charts. I don't really have a use for them yet, other than to make them an exclusive addition to the Man Stuff blog.

So, the blue lines in these charts are field goal percentage game by game. The red line is the season field goal percentage up to that point.

I first had the idea as a way to show that, although Jackson Emery has some dismal shooting nights sometimes, they come in cycles. And I was going to see if maybe Emery was due for another big night. (Let's hope so, against the Lobos.)

I ended up not writing my editorial about that, but these charts are cool anyway! And what do you think they mean? What are your comments?

Abouo


Collinsworth


Emery


Fredette


Hartsock


No comments:

Post a Comment